Egg Dishes and Breakfast Entrees
Martha’s Southwestern Eggs
Taste of the Southwest made easy!
Servings: Makes 7 Servings
- 18 eggs
- ¾ cup heavy cream or half and half
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 ½ ounces diced green chiles, fresh or canned
- ½ cup corn kernels
- ½ cup finely diced white onion
- 2 ½ ounces chorizo (optional)
- 2 ½ ounces ground beef (optional)
- ¼ cup crème fraiche, Mexican crema, or sour cream (sauce will not be as firm with sour cream)
- 1 ½ tablespoons orange juice
- 2 limes (for garnish)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
To make the citrus crema garnish, stir orange juice into crème fraiche, sour cream, or crema.
For the non-vegetarian option, brown the chorizo and ground beef together until browned. Drain the excess fat and set it to the side to cool.
Sauté the green chiles, onion, and corn until caramelized. Set aside to cool.
In a bowl, beat the eggs and cream until frothy. Add the dry spices (paprika, white pepper, cumin, salt) and mix until blended.
Pour the egg and cream mixture into individual serving-sized ceramic baking dishes, until they are three-quarters full.
Add one tablespoon of the chorizo and beef mixture (if using) to each serving, then one tablespoon of the caramelized vegetables.
Cover the top of the egg mixture with shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
Bake for around 30 minutes, or until the eggs are set, puffed, and light golden brown.
Garnish with citrus crema, lime slices, and lime zest.
Serve with tortilla chips, fruit, salsa, and hot sauce on the side.