French Toast, Pancakes and Waffles
Apple Blossom Pancakes
The best pancakes in the world…the Whole World!!!
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 ¼ cup milk
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
½ cup finely diced bacon
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
4 large crisp apples (Granny Smith, Pippin or any crisp tart apple), peeled, pared and thinly sliced
1 cup water
¼ cup butter
½ cup pure maple syrup
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1. In a medium sized pan, combine applesauce ingredients over medium-high heat.
2. Bring applesauce ingredients to a boil and reduce heat to medium low. Cook 30 minutes, stirring frequently. If applesauce begins to brown on the bottom of the pan before the pancakes are done, add some additional water.
3. In a small frying pan, sauté diced bacon over medium heat till barely crisp, approximately 10 minutes. Let cool slightly.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk and egg and vanilla. Add dry ingredients to milk mixture; whisk until just moistened.
6. Fold cooled bacon and drippings into pancake mixture.
7. Heat a flower-shaped pancake griddle over medium heat. Lightly spray cooking oil onto griddle.
8. For each pancake, quickly pour 2 to 3 tablespoons of batter into flower molds in skillet.
9. Cook until surface of pancakes form some bubbles and a few have burst, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a small knife, lift edge of flower and flip carefully back into flower mold of skillet, and cook until browned on the underside, 1 to 2 minutes more. Continue making additional batches of pancakes by spraying with cooking spray and filling with remaining batter till the batter is gone. (You’ll have approximately 21 flower pancakes.) Drizzle melted butter over stack of pancakes and serve warm, with Apple Sauce on top.